[GNUz] ubuntu update errors

dave gnuz@inode.co.nz
Sun, 16 Oct 2005 22:03:42 +1300

H ifolks,

Rik just informed me tonite that this list existed.

My problem is ....

Some servers that i connect to via Ksynaptic and synaptic get failed upon
connection (after updating from the servers) or when i go to update (patch)
my kubuntu 5.04 system.

it's basically bog stock standard but sometimes i cannot connect to security
servers or one or more archive.nz servers.

any ideas ??

below is a copy of my sources.list file.

deb cdrom:[Kubuntu 5.04 _Hoary Hedgehog_ - Release i386 (20050407)]/ hoary
main restricted

## Uncomment the following two lines to fetch updated software from the
network
deb http://nz.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ hoary main restricted
deb-src http://nz.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ hoary main restricted

## Uncomment the following two lines to fetch major bug fix updates produced
## after the final release of the distribution.
deb http://nz.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ hoary-updates main restricted
deb-src http://nz.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ hoary-updates main restricted

## Uncomment the following two lines to add software from the 'universe'
## repository.
## N.B. software from this repository is ENTIRELY UNSUPPORTED by the Ubuntu
## team, and may not be under a free licence. Please satisfy yourself as to
## your rights to use the software. Also, please note that software in
## universe WILL NOT receive any review or updates from the Ubuntu security
## team.
deb http://nz.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ hoary universe
deb-src http://nz.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ hoary universe
deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ hoary-security main restricted
deb-src http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ hoary-security main restricted

deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ hoary-security universe
deb-src http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ hoary-security universe

#backport

also just recently i've not been getting my desktop up (my icons and sometimes
the sound server dies). All this happens jsut after my wallpaperpops up i get
an error saying the launcher program (i think failed) and if the sound dies
it's the next popup to appear.

think that they are 2 separate issues tho.

any pointers would be great.

cheers.

--
Dave Lilley