[GNUz] Moving ...

Wesley Parish gnuz@inode.co.nz
Sat, 15 Oct 2005 21:06:33 +1300

On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 10:54, Jim Cheetham wrote:
> On Oct 15, 2005, at 9:33 AM, rik-Xandros-test wrote:
> >> That could be the IDS system Nessus
> >> http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/10/06/1853248&tid=172&tid=117
> >
> > Is that "/exploiting a loophole in the GPL/" or just plain
> > unscrupulous?
>
> Neither, by a long shot.
> The company owned the copyright, and therefore have the right to
> license under any terms they liked.
>
> Despite being GPLd, the community had not submitted any significant
> patches or functionality, and therefore the code was not jointly owned.
> This meant that no-one else had to be consulted about the license
> change.

It's not the first time it's happened.  The Mosix project was released under
the GPL, then the owner of most of the code took it proprietary:
http://openmosix.sourceforge.net/
"openMosix is the GPLv2, Open Source, project to extend the outstanding MOSIX
project.  New releases of MOSIX became proprietary software in late 2001 and
openMosix was begun February 10, 2002 by Moshe Bar to keep this highly
regarded Linux Clustering solution available as open source.
 openMosix quickly acquired an international team of volunteers that captured
prior releases of the GPL code and started to immediately improve and extend
the solution.  Users worldwide have adopted openMosix to protect their
investments and extend their clustering operations."

Apparently there's some people doing the same thing with nessus:
http://www.subterrain.net/drupal/blog
http://www.subterrain.net/drupal/nessus-3.0-abandons-gpl-licensing-gnessus-fork-launched
"Nessus -- once billed as "the open-source vulnerability scanner" -- is
changing its ways as of the 3.0 release, which is expected shortly. According
to a recent post on the Nessus Announcements mailing list "Nessus 3 will be
available free of charge, including on the Windows platform, but will not be
released under the GPL." On its Web site, Nessus now just bills itself as
"the network vulnerability scanner." It is worth noting that Tim Brown has
already created a fork called gnessus based on the latest GPL'd release of
Nessus. This is what happens when a company bites the open source hand that
feeds it."