[GNUz] ESR on GPL

Richard Tindall gnuz@inode.co.nz
Mon, 04 Jul 2005 15:29:49 +1200

What a pity ESR ever changed out of his toga..

America is split east/west since 1969: MIT/UCB; (GNU)/BSD;
liberal/libertarian. Which is why Linus was needed to catalyse progress
from outside - an intractable gulf. And ESR just milks it.

Meanwhile, the gurgler is rapidly sucking in 'community', for plain want
of consciousness and priority, from having listened to him.

Jim Cheetham wrote:

><snip> ..license while completely gutting its spirit."
>
>OSI california industry

*VS*

>FSF massachusetts academia
>
> Each compete for donations,
>developers, mindshare, etc just like any other two organizations.
>----
>"The BSD license attaches no value to what it is licensing, and as a
>result you [get] a software "tragedy of the commons" where everyone is
>happy to use it but almost nobody ever gives anything back."

the ongoing BSD romanticism is worse than a cop-out - BSD's proven
failure at defending non-proprietary code makes it a pernicious tack in
the ongoing quest for a free OS.

>Raymond's saying the GPL isn't necessary now."

I wholly question ESR's ecomonic nowse. - Since when did IBM or Novell
(etc) make reliable allies for users? They make better sponsors, sure,
but why sell your soul completely to the devil? Laziness? Expecting
manna from heaven?.. It's the OSI's pact - they should be made to wear it.

There's work to do beefing up the Free Software position, if you ask me,
to balance the commercial drift. Nothing else makes as much sense. From
the Linux kernel, onwards..

Privateers are everywhere. Here's another shocker: "Bush administration
annexes internet"
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/07/01/bush_net_policy/

- Speak out.

--
Richard Tindall, InfoHelp Services <http://www.infohelp.co.nz>, on:
Ubuntu GNU/Linux 5.04 free OS, 2.6.10-5-k7 kernel, GNOME 2.10.0 desktop