[GNUz] Linux is not the only OS _kernel_ ...

Jim Cheetham gnuz@inode.co.nz
Mon, 20 Jun 2005 20:27:43 +1200

On Jun 20, 2005, at 8:00 PM, Richard Tindall wrote:
> The author has really gotten the pip with "unstable" Linux 2.6 kernel
> releases. - Surprising to see.

No, there is a lot of discussion within the ranks with regard to the
release schedule and standards of the kernel. Out in userland, you only
see a few updates and upgrades - within kernel dev they track
individual modules and other internal changes.

A distribution is complex - arguably the kernel itself is even more
complex. Things don't always work out right, and there are some major
disagreements about the methods chosen to address any given issue. So
the complaint isn't wholly unjustified.

Of course, the whole thing is currently even more difficult because of
the BitKeeper situation. Nothing like change (for whatever reason) to
bring annoyances to a head.

> I haven't found where his DOS license info is kept yet..

It's in freedos.org, or freedos.sf.net - GPL.