[GNUz] Fwd: Academics Discuss MS vs. OSS

Jim Cheetham gnuz@inode.co.nz
Sun, 19 Jun 2005 19:17:04 +1200

On Jun 19, 2005, at 5:18 PM, Richard Tindall wrote:
> Nick Rout wrote:
>> Oh and BTW AFAIK the CLUG wiki is under version 2.0 of the CC-SA
>> license, not version 2.5.
> I noticed that too, but assumed we'd be going to the newer version
> eventually.

I hadn't noticed the new version. I'm not clear on the differences yet
... so I won't be suggesting any changes. I note that on the HomePage I
said "2.0 or greater/equivalent", but made no such comment on the
CLUGWebsiteLicense page. Again, something to think about.

> So, it would be ok for anyone to publish any new material they write,
> both on the Wiki & under the GFDL.

Yes :-) As the original author, you can contribute your work to the
clug wiki, and see it go under cc-license. Eventually, someone will
make a change to your original work, and the modified version cannot be
reclaimed by you.

But you still own the original, and can place it elsewhere, under a
different license, whenever you like.

It would be interesting if the wiki allowed a license to be chosen when
a page is initially created. I'll think about that. Perhaps there
should be a GLU wiki under GFDL, and the two wikis would refer to each
other under the InterWiki map naming - CLUG:PageUnderCC and
GLU:PageUnderGFDL ?

-jim