[GNUz] Fwd: Academics Discuss MS vs. OSS

Richard Tindall gnuz@inode.co.nz
Thu, 16 Jun 2005 13:01:19 +1200

Zane Gilmore wrote:

Stuff that is welcome news to me, but on which I shall think a lot
further. Thanks. :-)

>> For principled and comparative reasons, I think it is worthwhile
>> doing everything possible with GNU licensing, while we still can.
>> Proven, mature (licensing) tools - the best for the job?
>> Philosophically based, not a waste of time.
>

> As long as the same rights etc are being given by the Creative Commons
> licence (or whatever) then what is the problem?

"If it ain't broke, why fix it?"

The GNU/Linux kernel success is the greatest proof (think rails/engine).
Is any change initiated at that level?

Without this, the "problem" posed is purely political, it seems to me.
(About the economic liberty to dump GNU.)

People can use what they like. No problem assuming we can agree on that.

- Rik