[GNUz] GNOME on GNU/Hurd

Philip Charles gnuz@inode.co.nz
Thu, 26 May 2005 14:54:48 +1200 (NZST)

On Thu, 26 May 2005, Nick Rout wrote:

> Rik, I am sure this is both on topic and welcome on the CLUG list, same
> as BSD and the like.
>
> Also on the clug list you will catch Philip Charles who has done a lot
> of work on hurd.
>
> Look forward to a demo...

A good thing too.

A very brief explanation.

GNU/Hurd uses a micro kernel, at present GNUmach.  Hurd (which is in
sarge) runs on top of GNUmach.  Trying to run hurd without GNUmach is a no
no.  I will probably be shot for this, but you can think that GNUmach plus
hurd is somewhat similar to the Linux kernel (mutter, mutter, reservation,
reservation).

There are several ways of installing Debian GNU/Hurd, I would suggest
using the first CD from http://ftp.gnuab.org:/pub/debian-cd/K9/
Please read the README, yes the iso images are my work.
<commercial>You could buy the CD or DVD from me, Copyleft.</commercial>

With luck Gnome will be in the K10 dosc sets.

There are a number of links on the Copyleft site to GNU/Hurd
documentation.

Phil.