[GNUz] GNOME on GNU/Hurd

Richard Tindall gnuz@inode.co.nz
Thu, 26 May 2005 13:53:47 +1200

Hey, thanks for that Tim. You've prompted me to ask something for which
I was unsure of the welcome on a Linux list..

Timothy Musson wrote:

>>From this week's Debian newsletter[*]:
>
>``Michael Banck managed[1] to get GNOME [to] compile and run on
>GNU/Hurd, albeit with some caveats and loose end

Debian Sarge offered me a Hurd package, then a recent update, both of
which I installed and gave to GRUB. My first Hurd boot!!.. Whoopdy-do.. ;-)

Anyway, it starts & does some normal looking initialisation for a few
seconds, then halts briefly on something like 'no bootstrap code to
load', and reboots the system. So.. where is Hurd's operating system?..

Thanks for providing some clues as to where I might research this
perplexing question, in my off-time.. ha!

I'll go and have a read now.

Cheers, Rik

--
Richard Tindall, InfoHelp Services <http://www.infohelp.co.nz>, on:
Ubuntu GNU/Linux 5.04 free OS, 2.6.10-5-k7 kernel, GNOME 2.10.0 desktop