[GNUz] test adsl

Richard Tindall gnuz@inode.co.nz
Fri, 13 May 2005 20:09:16 +1200

Welcome aboard Suz,

Sue McGaw wrote:

>hi list from SuE'S SuSE desktop
>training commenced
>- Rik

The orange E(mail) icon on your SuSE taskbar is for Kmail. I have set it
to "leave messages on server", so don't be afraid of spending lots of
time with SuSE Linux - you can throw away these email copies and not
worry about them being lost to your main (XP) mail archive.

We have put Thunderbird & Firefox onto Sue's XP, because a virus had
gotten past NortonsAV undefeated. Migration to GNU/Linux is the full answer.

Using SuSE, mail yourself a copy CC or BCC of anything you want a record
of, & store it another time through Thunderbird (on XP). In time, when
you're ready, you can shift your address book & mail store across to
Linux, permanently if you so choose.

Don't worry about playing around with Linux, making mistakes, or asking
'stupid questions' - we're here to 'hold your hand' as you learn, and we
all started at the beginning akin to this. :-)

Good luck. Speak up - this is a small & dedicated list. There's nothing
to be embarrassed about here.

You have an important part to play in the group, & it's probably to help
me convince the CLUG & NZOSS fuddy-duddies ;-) that if we don't start
acting positively now to expose & rectify M$-Telebomb's anti-Hacker
propaganda now, there is unlikely to be a Linux and a Group helping each
other in ten years time - it will be patented and disparaged out of
existence. This is an economic war we are in.

So buck up everyone, we've got a crucial job to do. Canterbury is well -
if not best - placed to become the Free & Open Source capital of NZ.

What say yee folks?

All the best,

Rik

--
Richard Tindall, InfoHelp Services, on RedHat9 (but not forever)