[GNUz] Ubuntu, hackfest, SFD1

Richard Tindall gnuz@inode.co.nz
Sun, 24 Apr 2005 17:44:26 +1200

Ah.. that makes sense now..

Steve Holdoway wrote:

> Richard Tindall wrote:
>
>> Except that.. when trying to be as home-network functional as on
>> Windows (Internet connection sharing) one needs to enable
>> iptables-masquerading. I found a script for this on RedHat, called
>> "firewall-2.4"; have they just misnamed this for confusion, or should
>> I believe them?
>

> No, you don't. If your pc is using a modem to addess the internet, and
> you want to share that connection, then all you need to do is set that
> pc up as a router, which entails  enabling ip forwarding and pointing
> to it as your default gateway - very little else.
>
> Wouldn't recommend it, though... not safe at all. If you are using
> home networking of any kind, then I really do recommend that you
> implement a firewall - I suggest IPCop for 2 reasons... first it's
> worked impeccably since installation at work, and is a pop to manage,
> and second, the in-depth knowledge of the product on this list is
> impressive to say the least.

The term "firewall" only applies to an external, dedicated and secure
routing box - irrespective of OS choices. For some reason I'd assumed
Win-false & Lnx-correct in what got said (about software "firewall"s).
..IPCop soon.

Progress/user report on Hoary5.10:

This is the first 'Debian'-Gnome setup I've had with Xorg, to which
reason I am ascribing the first out-of-the-box (highly desirable)
correct XGA driving of my laptopATI-projector combo. Phew! I knew it
could be done, as FedoraC1 had it running ok with Xfree (& KDE seems
foolproof). Downside - Fn-screen brightness controls are gone. Upside -
Ubuntu gets the Synaptics touchscroll working right every time, where
Debian would still be needing a tweak.

Thanks Ubuntu.

Cheers,
Rik