[GNUz] Non-free BitKeeper and the Linux kernel

Jim Cheetham gnuz@inode.co.nz
Sat, 9 Apr 2005 10:36:46 +1200

On Apr 9, 2005, at 4:47 AM, Martin B=E4hr wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 08, 2005 at 09:57:39PM +1200, Jim Cheetham wrote:
>> http://kerneltrap.org/node/4966
>> The BitKeeper software has been used by Linus for a few years now, =
for
>> managing the Linux kernel.
>> BitKeeper was free-as-in-beer - now this has changed, the free =
version
>> has been discontinued - because some OSS developers have been reverse
>> engineering the system to produce their own version.
>
> have they?
> from reading the threads i have not seen any evidence that it was
> bitkeeper users that were working on other revision control systems.

<quote src=3D"http://kerneltrap.org/node/4966">
Attempts to reverse engineer some of BitKeeper's features have lead to=20=

repeated cautions by BitMover. Most recently two such reverse=20
engineering attempts have contributed to BitMover's decision to end the=20=

development and availability of the free BitKeeper product.
</quote>

Perhaps the article was inaccurate, but I haven't read beyond it.
There was no mention in the article of other RCSs, such as subversion,=20=

GNU Arch, or bazaar, hence my short summary - which, like a slashdot=20
entry, was only designed as a teaser to get people to read the article=20=

and start their own search for data :-)

-jim=