[GNUz] GLU workshop #3 next Thurs

Richard Tindall gnuz@inode.co.nz
Thu, 31 Mar 2005 14:08:43 +1200

Hello List,

Forward notice of the 3rd monthly GNU/Linux User workshop:

*Thursday April 07, 7.30pm, Sydenham Community Association Hall, 25
Hutcheson Street, Christchurch.*

It's early days still, so now's the time to come along and help shape
this new workgroup to suit your specific learning and advocacy needs.

What we've clarified so far is that there is ongoing demand for
elementary configuration and navigation skill training, and that the
environment for this is the command line. So that's our starting theme
next week, explored on the Debian(-based) distribution(s), looking at
modem and video driver package issues, user accounts, etc. We may be
having a demonstration of what a user finds good in Mepis too.

Future requests include an Apache configuration workshop, and we are
looking for a volunteer to lead this session. Any *nix platform would be
fine.

The reason for organising separate from formal CLUG meetings is to
cohere promotion and support of quality free software use as an active
theme, in a way non-disruptive to technical community concerns. This
equates with work to dispel the anti-'hacker' (meaning cracker)
propaganda of M$/newsmedia computer monoculture, and contributes to Free
<http://www.fsf.org> and Open Source <http://www.opensource.org>
Software (FOSS) long-termsurvival as  alternative platforms.

Mailing list for further discussion, + archive: *GNUz
<http://lists.ourshack.com/mailman/listinfo/gnuz>*

Regards,

Rik
--