[GNUz] Early examples of the GPL?

Rik Tindall gnuz@inode.co.nz
Fri, 29 Oct 2004 18:04:39 +1300

Zane Gilmore wrote:

> Nick Rout wrote:
>
>> excellent, once you get through the 17th century prose, its very GPL -
>> or its data equvalent!
>
> I've always thought that the GPL is only a legal form of the
> scientific ethos which *relies* on the sharing of information.

I guess there are implications in the 'privatisation' drift of
university research then..

> A lot of the FLOSS sympathy around here is driven by the science depts.

..which drives this, as the (shared) technique of knowledge-driving.

With the patents issue faced by FL/OSS globally - like the
university scientists - the commoditisation of "intellectual property"
seems to be what we are dealing with, across the board. This would treat
the GPL as antithetical and an obstacle, I believe.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Excellent post, thanks Jim.

-rmt