[GNUz] Early examples of the GPL?

Jim Cheetham gnuz@inode.co.nz
Fri, 29 Oct 2004 11:02:54 +1300

I've just been reading a history of scientific conflict, and Sir Isaac
Newton's chapter reveals some interesting things ...

Basically, Newton thought that everyone should be happy to provide him
with data, so that he can publish the "meaning" of it. In the 1690s, he
asked John Flamsteed, the Astronomer Royal, to provide him with
observation data, which was quickly provided, along with some
(erroneous) calculations.

Newton responded with insults, saying basically "send me only the data,
or I'll have to ask someone else".

Flamsteed thought that it his job to provide data freely to the nation,
and that going to someone else was not the proper thing to do. Newton
raised the stakes, offering money for the data. Flamsteed's response
seems to set the tone for some of RMS' thoughts :-

"All the return I can allow or ever expected from such persons with whom
I corresponded is only to have the result of their studies imparted as
freely as I afford them the effect of mine or my pains."

( _The Correspondence of Isaac Newton_, ed. H.W.Turnbull et.al., 7 vols,
Cambridge University Press 1959-77, vol 4 p.58 )

-jim