[GNUz] John Gilmour quote

Jim Cheetham gnuz@inode.co.nz
Fri, 20 Aug 2004 15:01:46 +1200

 From a greplaw interview,
http://grep.law.harvard.edu/features/04/08/18/112237.shtml

> # You are not a great fan of copy protection. But how shall intellectual property holders commercially survive in an environment where perfect copies are a part of everyday life?
>
> I thought I knew that answer in 1989, but I wasn't sure, so I started a business to see if I was right. Cygnus Support, later named Cygnus Solutions, got paid by its customers for writing free software and giving it away for unlimited free perfect distribution. We also sold commercial support for free software, to people who depended upon it. The company started with three people in 1989. We ran it on revenues (without investment beyond the initial $15,000 that the founders chipped in). We were profitabl
e and had 75 employees when I left in 1996. We were bought by Red Hat for $600 million in stock in 2000, because we were the world's leading experts on both a critical piece of free software (the GNU programming tools) and on how to make money from free software.

You'd probably find the whole thing interesting ...

-jim