[GNUz] Slashdor discussion of php/mysql/gpl

Martin Bähr gnuz@inode.co.nz
Wed, 21 Jul 2004 21:53:47 +0200

On Wed, Jul 21, 2004 at 01:48:08PM +1200, Jim Cheetham wrote:
> >Are there more GNU-like (GPL'd) distros we should be recommending? Is
> >that the essential point?
> There is no GNU Operating System or distribution.
> The distribution that thinks it's the most GNU-like is "Debian
> GNU/Linux". It was funded either by FSF or GNU when it started, for
> goodness sake.
> However, RMS says that this is now non-free, because there are some
> non-free packages that can be downloaded from the Debian web servers.

debian provides the vrms package which lists your non-free packages.

given that the hurd is an fsf project its branch of debian most likely
does not have any non-free packages. (but this is a pure guess)

and then there is ututo-e:
http://ututo-en.netsys.com.ar/
http://gnu-friends.org/story/2004/4/14/143042/957
"Ututo-e mission is to maintain itself 100% free libre software"

greetings, martin.
--
looking for a job doing pike programming, sTeam/caudium/pike/roxen training,
sTeam/caudium/roxen and/or unix system administration anywhere in the world.