[GNUz] Slashdor discussion of php/mysql/gpl

InfoHelp gnuz@inode.co.nz
Wed, 21 Jul 2004 13:23:43 +1200

Hey Nick,

Nick Rout wrote:

>On Tue, 2004-07-20 at 21:22, InfoHelp wrote:
>

>>It seems to all come down to a matter of opinion (formed over several
>>decades & from many influences).
>>

>Hey Rik, just a thought, remember your thoughts (and the gnu philosphy)
>about free software when you next recommend SuSE - the "usabilty"
>features such as easy installation of modems means the distro includes
>some non free software :-)

With some small but growing GNU/Linux experience to go by, I'll explore
this.

If, for example, we are talking about a Conexant modem driver in
particular (& quite essentially so), how does SuSE's presentation of a
package of it differ from that of Mandrake?

And how is any difference playing out in the public behaviour of our LUG?

Are there more GNU-like (GPL'd) distros we should be recommending? Is
that the essential point?

Or is it to ignore / supercede the GPL, with other licence values?

Cheers - Rik