[GNUz] What is "GNU" software?

Jim Cheetham gnuz@inode.co.nz
Tue, 06 Jul 2004 12:48:40 +1200

I'm trying to work out from gnu.org what categories of libre software
are out there, and I'm getting a little confused. Some enlightenment
would be welcome.

There is software using the GPL and LGPL - these are un-mistakeable, by
inspection.

There is "GNU software" - not all of that has to use GPL, RMS used
pragmatism in the past, and not all GNU software is manged by the FSF :-

 > ... the GNU system is not the same as the collection of all GNU
 > software. The GNU system includes programs that are not GNU software,
 > programs that were developed by other people and projects for their
 > own purposes, but which we can use because they are free software.
 > Free Software Foundation employees have written and maintained a
 > number of GNU software packages.
 > http://www.gnu.org/gnu/thegnuproject.html

I can't figure out how a piece of software becomes "GNU software".
http://www.gnu.org/directory/GNU/ lists them, but doesn't define or
count them. http://savannah.gnu.org/ hosts 2002 projects, of which 269
are "GNU"

I *did* find the reference to the FSF holding the copyright on
contributed code, see http://www.gnu.org/prep/standards_4.html#SEC4
It's this action that might put the GNU software beyond the reach of a
SCO-like entity, as opposed to Linus' policy of trust.

-jim