[GNUz] GNU/Linux ...

Jim Cheetham gnuz@inode.co.nz
Mon, 05 Jul 2004 11:25:55 +1200

Nick Rout wrote:
  > "Gentoo Linux is and will remain Free Software
Interesting to note that Debian's Free Software Guidelines (DFSG)
basically *are* the OSI's, because of the guiding hand of Bruce Perens,
who produced both of them (in their original forms, that is)

Also, after having an interesting time perusing the range of data that
passes for information these days :-) I found this (relatively recent)
post from RMS expanding on his official position :-

 > The FSF has not endorsed any GNU/Linux distribution in recent years,
 > and perhaps never, but my memory is not certain.
 > While nominally Debian GNU/Linux does not include the non-free
 > software, the non-free software is distributed from the same server.
 > We cannot recommend one without effectively recommending the other.

This sounds like a very weak excuse to me. If he could have said "the
default installation of Debian includes non-free software" this would
have been a good excuse, however this is not so.

-jim, adding fuel to the fire ...