[GNUz] GNU/Linux ...

InfoHelp gnuz@inode.co.nz
Mon, 05 Jul 2004 10:09:15 +1200

Nick Rout wrote:

>On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 09:42:41 +1200
>InfoHelp <ask@infohelp.co.nz> wrote:
>
>>Sentimentality is insufficient support for a misnomer.
>>

>No, but brand name recognition and brand name appeal are!

Improvement is always possible there.

The one that I'll be supplying from solves the confusion/problem that
LINUs-uniX created, opening  the door to SCO.

Let us reinforce the shutting of that door.

>Its a modern rend to have short punchy recogniasble names.
>
>Frankly enough people glaze over ast the mention of "alternative operating
>systems" and "administrative tools" and "compilers". I think that the
>word "linux" is becoming very well regarded and recognised. Even people
>who glaze over a thte question "what browser is giving you this trouble?"
>know the name linux, albeit sometimes not much more than the name and a
>coupe of inches of newspaper column they read on the john one tuesday
>morning. Lets keep the brand recognition alive and get people asking
>about it and trying it out. Once they are hooked they can read about the
>histiry and who wrote all the important stuff if they like.
>
>So my point? "GNU" is not a hook. "GNU/Linux" is definitely not a hook,
>it is difficult to say and has no punch. "Linux" is a hook. The average
>semi-uneducated (in computer OS terms) punter is starting to know about
>linux, Grab that hook and pull them into the fold. Don't make them glaze
>over with talk of compilers and command line tools like sed, awk, grep -
>they might think they need to compile to run linux.

This is fine & with little cause to differ. It's just a matter of
opinion & what we wish to do in the marketplace, in a free world.

We don't even need to step on each other's toes.

--
GNU/Linux Users - charting the course
prototype4: Mandrake/Fedora/SuSE-Gentoo/LFS-Debian/BSD-GNU/Hurd