[GNUz] GNU/Linux ...

InfoHelp gnuz@inode.co.nz
Sun, 04 Jul 2004 12:39:43 +1200

a / good day ~O~

Nick Rout wrote:

>On Sat, July 3, 2004 10:55 pm, InfoHelp said:
>

>>On Sat, 2004-07-03 at 21:44, Nick Rout wrote:
>>

>>>On Sat, July 3, 2004 9:07 pm, InfoHelp said:
>>>
>>>So I see your point - GNU has no claim on non-GPL product, formally.
>>>

>it has no claim on gpl product either. you could use the gpl and have
>nothing to do with gnu. like linus did.

Now we're learning something..

>>This would indicate eventual drift of all licensing toward private, it
>>seems. Each little bit & widget, when the user base is big enough to
>>support new version updates, would be charged for.
>>

>why do you say that? there are plenty of people coding under various
>"free" / "open" licenses,if anything the trend is away from closed
>licenses.

moreso - good news.

>>Hence the need to draw a line around the OS, & assert community
>>ownership therein. Logically, it would go too otherwise.
>>
>>But your case is that informal title too is void, I gather.
>>

>don't know what you mean by that.

Sounds like I was being over-protective.

>>>what is the gnu web server? mta? media player?
>>>
>>>I think a pure gnu/linux distro would be destructive of choices, and
>>>choice is a big reason for people changing from windows in the first
>>>place.
>>>

>>Agreed, although it's possible good programs could still be made for the
>>tasks, out of necessity - so then it is not fruitless. A contributor
>>framework is needed for this - we have one already - the point of GNU.
>>

>yes programs can be re-written, but why re-write the examples i gave
>(apache, an MTA etc) to bring them into the gnu/fsf fold just for purity's
>sake?
>
>>>why restrict choice to gnu and the kernel? is there a big problem with
>>>the
>>>apache license? or the sendmail license?
>>>

>>How is choice restricted by identifying the platform core? One may
>>choose other things as well as that.
>>

>sorry i though you were discussing the prospect of a linux distro with
>solely gnu software (plus the kernel of course). My point is that such a
>concept would be unduly restrictive (IMHO)

Jim was, tho he hasn't contexted GNU/Hurd for us yet.

Maybe you'd like to Nick?

>>>I posted a list of the licenses on the mandrake 4 cd on the CLUG or
>>>installfest list a few weeks ago, certainly many were not GPL.
>>>

>>Yes I saw that,
>>

>>>how about seeing what licenses are on the packages on your system? Its
>>>pretty easy with an rpm system. of course a GPL license is not an
>>>indication of a package being part of GNU/FSF, but a different license
>>>would probably count it out.
>>>

>>but don't remember your commands.
>>
>>This is pretty confusing material, unless IAAL :-)
>>

>the point was to show you how much non GPL software there is on your
>system and see if you could  do without it.
>

>>Sometime I will.
>>
>>'Much easier to stand on principle' - you'd say there is none in GNU?
>>

>what? when did i say that there was no principle in the gnu philosphy?

It's the GNU/Linux principle you seem to want to challenge here.

>>So why are we here?
>>
>>The only drift I'm gathering is "GNU must stop existing"
>>

>your interpretation is bizarre
>

>>This sounds like "free software is over"
>>

>and gets more so...

It was late, I was tired, my brain was shutting down..

>>Umm.. you do have the right to say that, & I have to defend your right
>>to say it.
>>

>but i didn't say it rik. i am simply saying that gnu is not the be all and
>end all of eveerything. it is part of a movement, buut it is not the
>movement.

And noone seems to be saying that here, except Jim.

>>Or are you wanting us to work up a fully GPL OS & software platform?
>>

>sorry i thought you wanted a platform made of gnu software only

As above.

>>And get started soon?
>>
>>Otherwise,
>>I'm missing something in understanding what you want from this list.
>>
>>Please enlighten :-)
>>
>sensible debate.

Thanks for the invitation. As I said early in this dialogue, I am
unprepared as yet.

I'll get back to you when I can accomodate.

Meantime, there's a "Linux" education program to run.

c u there