[GNUz] GNU/Linux ...

Yuri de Groot gnuz@inode.co.nz
Fri, 02 Jul 2004 19:58:04 +1200

> Here's a provocative question for you - given the above
> statement,  shouldn't RMS be pushing for *everyone who
> chooses the GPL* to be  referred to as "GNU/<name>" ?

Not all source released under the GPL license is made using
GNU tools.
GNU and GPL both come from the FSF but they are distinct,
IMHO.

> Picking solely on Linux as the recipient of "you must
> mention GNU"  comments sounds too much like sour grapes.
> Perhaps the GPL should have  included an advertising
> clause, like the BSD licenses?

Too late. FSF has already licensed the GNU tools without an
advertising clause.
It is good to give credit to GNU because without the GNU
tools linux would be very different (who knows what other
tools may have filled the gap - I can't travel to a parallel
universe to find out).
However, without the advertising clause there is no legal
obligation to do so, though perhaps a moral obligation.

Yuri