[DISIG-cabal] Preparing for meeting #1

Jim Cheetham jim at cheetham.nz
Fri Feb 15 04:42:47 GMT 2019

Chris, can you please confirm an initial room booking for Thu 7 March 2019, 6pm-8pm,  and the capacity. Will Ombrellitos be open afterwards or not? I'm guessing not ...?

All, we need to get an initial email out to announce the meeting. I'm thinking of asking for RSVPs so we can make sure we have the right capacity before it all goes pear-shaped, lol.

Draft announcement, please check to see if there's anything important I haven't covered. I wanted to make sure to keep it white hat (perhaps grey hat) and definitely exclude black hat activity ... :

====
Announcing the Dunedin chapter of the NZ Information Security Interest Group (https://isig.org.nz).

The first meeting of the Dunedin ISIG will be:
6pm to 8pm, Thursday 7th March 2019,
at the Petridish shared office space, 8 Stafford Street, Dunedin.
Please RSVP to jim at cheetham.nz so we can make sure we have a room big enough for you all!

This and future meetings are intended to be free; there is no cost for "membership" of the ISIG. Please come along if you're working in the Information Security world and want to share your knowledge; please come along if you are NOT working in InfoSec and want to learn!

Proposed meeting topics :-

* When to have more meetings! We are hoping to meet on the First Thursday of every month (except Januarys ...) but we're interested in what works for you
* What subjects to cover - the organisers of Dunedin ISIG (Jim Cheetham, Brendan Murray, Chris Burgess) can cover a wide range of security subjects including network/sysadmin security, privacy/confidentiality, risk and policy compliance, responsible disclosure, coding issues, end-user education and so on ... but there's more out there!
* Something to demonstrate - running exploits against a vulnerable web site app, see how you can extract unexpected data from their database, intercept and decrypt HTTPS ...

We're interested in finding out what topics *you* want to hear about, or talk about. We're comfortable with discussing a wide spectrum of techniques used for Building secure systems, Defending them, and as part of an ethical engagement Breaking them - but we're not interested in breaking the law so leave your mirrorshades and hoodies at home!

If you can come, please RSVP to jim at cheetham.nz so we can make sure we have a room big enough for you all!
====

--
  Jim Cheetham