[OneRNG-Discuss] Debian 12 kernel ignoring entropy from OneRNG?

Tom Yates madhatter at teaparty.net
Thu Mar 14 07:53:32 GMT 2024

On Thu, 14 Mar 2024, Jim Cheetham wrote:

> I'd be interested to know what kernel you were using on the Centos 7
> machine - I think they only went up to something like 3.1.

3.10.0, since you ask; but i'd agree that several oceans of work have
flowed under the kernel's bridge since then.

> So I expect your key is working just fine, sending data to rngd; and
> rngd is writing into /dev/random like it used to do - but the kernel is
> ignoring it

Yes, that's what I'd suspected, too.

> and the measurement you used to rely on is no longer meaningful. Much of
> the information published (& indexed) on the Internet still seems to be
> out-of-date, as the Arch documentation mentions:
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Random_number_generation

That was the bit of information I was missing, and thank you very much
indeed for it.  The specific note that the old measurement is now
pointless is particularly valuable.

I have to visit that server again soon, to replace the HDDs; I will at
that time remove my treasured OneRNG.  I may bring it home, and frame it
for my office wall, as a memento of when the internet was made a tiny bit
safer by it and it's brethren :)

--

       Tom Yates  -  https://www.teaparty.net