[OneRNG-Discuss] Tillitis TKey

Jim Cheetham jim at cheetham.nz
Wed Jul 5 21:24:23 BST 2023

I'm sure we've mentioned the TKey before, but it's being seen out and about in production now ...

https://dev.tillitis.se/intro/

It's basically a full computer with measured boot, and it's up to you what applications you put on it.

>    32-bit RISC-V CPU running at 18 MHz
>    Execution monitor
>    Hardware-assisted address randomization and RAM scrambling
>    128 kiB RAM for TKey device applications
>    2 kiB firmware RAM
>    6 kiB ROM
>    True random number generator
>    USB CDC (Communications Device Class) over a Type-C connector
>    Timer
>    Two levels of hardware privilege modes: firmware mode and application mode
>    CPU-controlled LED
>    No persistent storage

The RNG is described as

> The True Random Number Generator (TRNG) ring oscillator based internal entropy source.
> The TRNG generates randomness with a fairly good quality. However for security related use cases, for example generating keys, the TRNG should not be used directly. Instead use it to create a seed for a Digital Random Bit Generator (DRBG), also known as a Cryptographically Safe Pseudo Random Number Generator (CSPRNG). Examples of such generators are Hash_DRGG, CTR_DRBG, HKDF.

More hardware details are available in https://github.com/tillitis/tillitis-key1

Here's a blog post where the device user set the TKey up as an ssh agent, and as an authenticator for PAM:
https://www.assured.se/posts/getting-started-tillitis-tkey-security-token

--
  Jim Cheetham
  jim at cheetham.nz