[OneRNG-Discuss] Troubleshooting the OneRNG

Paul Campbell paul at taniwha.com
Mon Feb 13 18:27:10 GMT 2023

On Tuesday, 14 February 2023 12:46:45 AM NZDT Bog Witch wrote:
> When plugging it in, the device responds exactly as expected but if I
> try to empty the entropy pool, the LED continues to shine brightly
> with the expected flash dim every few seconds.

So the kernel has changed over the past few years, the previous API which
allowed us to provide flow control based upon the kernel's idea of how much
entropy the kernel thought it had is sadly gone.

In order to keep OneRNF still functional I was forced to change the existing
support software to periodically feed entropy into the kernel (the flashing LED
you're seeing) - you can change the feed rate using the ONERNG_FEED_RATE value
in the /etc/onerng.conf file.

	Paul