Firmware validation fails randomly

James Pond james+onernglist at cipher.host
Thu Mar 4 16:16:24 GMT 2021

> Any chance you still have something running that thinks it's grabbing random data?

I do not think so, as the process starts pretty early in the boot process. However, even when running everything manually after stopping the script, removing the device, and putting it back in, the error still occur at times.

Maybe the dd process that writes to the temporary verification file? I do save its PID, check if it is still running after a few seconds, and send a SIGTERM if it is still running, though, but maybe SIGTERM is not enough — you send SIGKILL instead, for example.

EDIT: While writing the message above, it occurred to me that the problem does not happen if I leave the device running for a while without firmware verification, stop it, and then run the verification process, as if it needed a "warm-up".

Adding said "warm-up" process to the script seems to resolve the problem, but I will need to run more tests before I can say if that is indeed the case or just a coincidence.

[1] I am moving it earlier bit by bit and want to try and get it at the boot entropy gathering process at some point.