DiceKeys looks very cool

Jim Cheetham jim at gonzul.net
Wed Sep 16 00:15:13 BST 2020

https://www.wired.com/story/dicekeys-cryptography/
https://www.crowdsupply.com/dicekeys/dicekeys

This is a physical RNG - a 5x5 array of cubes, and on each you read a
letter to identify which individual die it is (i.e. creating a unique
sequence), which number is showing (to get one of 6 faces) and then which
orientation it is in (so another 4 positions). They're describing this as
196 bits.

The idea is that this is the master password or seed for some long-lived
key, you roll the dice, read out the values (they have an app to do that
from your device camera), then close & seal the box and pop it in a safe.
If you need to re-create the key one day, you can open the box and re-read
the data.

Now obviously, you could do something similar by generating a key &
printing it out in an OCR-able form, and then securing the paper copy. I've
done this at a previous job, it isn't difficult - although you probably
should understand the long-term characteristics of your paper & ink, it's
probably good enough for most use-cases.

A tamper-evident evidence envelope is also a good idea to add to the
mixture.

However, I love dice :-) and therefore I *have* to get this! I've ordered
mine already.

-jim