[onerng talk] Firmware corrupted

Paul Campbell paul at taniwha.com
Fri Jun 5 12:29:24 BST 2020

On Friday, 5 June 2020 5:06:48 PM NZST Stefan Schumacher wrote:
> I just got my OneRNG-Key (Hardware Version 3.0) and I have some trouble
> getting it to work. The system I am using is Debian 10.I have installed the
> dependencies (rng-tools at python-gnupg openssl) and the
> onerng_3.6-1_all.deb-file. The light on the device goes on when I stick
> into an USB Slot.  Dmesg shows that it found the device: [304146.977222]
> cdc_acm 1-10.1:1.0: ttyACM0: USB ACM device as well as lsbusb: Bus 001
> Device 040: ID 1d50:6086 OpenMoko, Inc. OneRNG entropy device
>
> Unfortunately rng-tools refuses to start. I does not show any error messages
> one could work with. The only thing which I noticed quite by accident was
> this message from atd: OneRNG[11603]: firmware verification failed: Bad
> image
> Executing /sbin/onerng.sh does not produce any output nor start a daemon.
>
> I am grateful for any suggestions on to get this working.

I think that this is likely a known issue with the python script that checks
the signature on the firmware ... the recent switch to python3 as a default is
a problem .... (when we originally released the code pythin3 was not available
everywhere) you can disable the firmware check by editing /etc/onerng.conf and
setting:

ONERNG_VERIFY_FIRMWARE="0"

Releasing a fix has taken longer than I'd hoped, I hope to get something out
next week after the whole moving house thing is done with and the boxes we've
been living with though lockdown get unpacked

	Paul