"Free-Form" electronics

Jim Cheetham jim at gonzul.net
Wed Jun 10 23:56:40 BST 2020

Here's an example of something I'd like to see more of ...
https://www.instructables.com/id/See-Through-Arduino-UNO/

"What is Freeduino? It's a famous Arduino UNO board made without any
circuit board. It uses a technique called free-form to interconnect
components by wires instead of a circuit board. And it looks beautiful!"

There have been many examples of completely dis-integrated circuits around
for a while, things like the https://monster6502.com/ look good, and as a
software hack I'm enjoying the breadboard computing from
https://eater.net/6502 as well (yes, I had a BBC micro as a kid so I like
6502s!)

One of our OneRNG design principles was to promote the visual inspection of
the device, to make it big enough and clear enough to check rather than
what was a habit at the time to have a tiny component embedded in a blob of
something opaque. Perhaps we've done enough already, but I still like the
awkwardly large example of that 'Freeduino' :-)

-jim