Onerng and Windows

Jim Cheetham jim at gonzul.net
Thu Jan 30 02:20:16 GMT 2020

Well, neither Paul nor I are Windows developers, and previous looks at
their documentation hasn't revealed much; there seems to be some resistance
to having this on a system-wide basis.

Hunting Stack Exchange and similar places points to
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/seccng/cng-portal
with the end result that as you say, signed code would be needed.

However, if there were a suitable open-sourced solution available, I'm
pretty confident that we could solve the signing problem.

https://download.microsoft.com/download/1/c/9/1c9813b8-089c-4fef-b2ad-ad80e79403ba/Whitepaper%20-%20The%20Windows%2010%20random%20number%20generation%20infrastructure.pdf
has a lot of info, but sometimes the detail is lacking. There are entropy
sources described, that "reseed the root PRNG", but the later list of
Entropy Sources doesn't seem to permit an external submitter.

-jim