Backdoored Lotto RNG (DEFCON25 presentation)

bsr presspound at buckeye-access.com
Tue Aug 1 16:27:53 BST 2017

Although a little light on detail, this presentation at DEFCON serves as an example why we shouldn't trust blackbox rng's and also underscores the importance of the OneRNG project.

https://media.defcon.org/DEF%20CON%2025/DEF%20CON%2025%20presentations/DEFCON-25-Gus-Frischie-and-Evan-Teitelman-Backdooring-the-Lottery.pdf

This also reiterates my concern about testing for randomness since the backdoored lotto rng in this particular case was evaluated by a major third party lab, passed a code audit, and the rng's output was deemed statistically unbiased.