[onerng talk] LED flashing error code

Paul Campbell paul at taniwha.com
Mon Aug 28 06:11:07 BST 2017

On Monday, 28 August 2017 4:50:27 PM NZST Hans wrote:
> I bought an "in-house built" V1.0 OneRNG (plus programmer and cable) as part
> of the Kickstarter, and it has worked well for quite a while. Several
> months back the LED started blinking. I thought initially it was "random",
> and only recently got a chance to look closer. It seems to be flashing the
> 1 second on, 3 seconds off code, which from looking at the source code
> apparently means the avalanche noise source is stuck at zero.
>
> Is this a known failure mode for these vintage units? Could it be something
> obvious or easy? I'm capable of SMD work. The scope is dead or I would have
> quickly looked at the noise input to the CC2531.

there is a known bug where it does this by mistake, it only happens when it's
idle and is cleared when you draw lots of entropy from the device - connect to
the device and use dd or cat to pull lots of data from it, if it completely
stops flashing it's likely OK. If it flashes a bit then just goes dim, then
flashes a bit more it still has problems

If it is broken then the first thing to do is to make sure the voltage
converter is working, look at the voltage boost converter here:

http://www.moonbaseotago.com/onerng/theory.html

check that C15 has 16-20V on it, after that you really do need a scope I'm
afraid

	Paul