internal version connector

esh esh at fjerhammer.dk
Thu Aug 18 02:57:13 BST 2016

An update on my previous post:
The inverted OneRNG killed my motherboard, but all other hardware still works fine. It forced me into upgrading my aging system, which was probably about time anyway. :-)

When thinking about it, it makes perfect sense that connecting a USB header with the data and voltage lines mixed around is going to screw something up, but I didn't give it much thought at the time.
I still think that you should note in the documentation that the computer may also take damage from connecting it incorrectly, so that other people won't be as ruthless and idiotic as me when plugging it in. ;-)
(I couldn't get it to work and tried to reverse it, not realizing that it was all because my kernel didn't have USB serial converter support.)

Since then, I have compared the motherboard-killing OneRNG against the second one I bought using rngtest with both raw RF and avalanche noise (cmd1 and cmd7) and OpenSSL whitening disabled, and they produce similar results, both in regards to FIPS and performance. So the OneRNG does not appear to have taken damage, although I don't know if this is a valid way of verifying its functionality.