[onerng talk] Temperature and Failure??

Paul Campbell paul at taniwha.com
Fri Jun 19 02:36:40 BST 2015

On Fri, 19 Jun 2015 11:33:24 DougMcIntyre wrote:
> The orange light is on solid, but it is very warm to the touch when I
> feel it. If I had to guess, somewhere around 130 degrees F. It is
> running outside the server (for now) in a datacenter environment, so
> it is much warmer than most everything around it.
>
> Yesterday, I'm sure I was able to get huge blocks of randomness from
> /dev/random, but today, I seem to be limited to normal system entropy.

There are two issues we know of:

- the temperature issue, if that causes a failure you should see the LED
flashing regularly (~ 1 or 2 sec period) - we're going to produce some boards
with the temp issue fixed and swap out boards for anyone who's having an issue
- this will take a couple of weeks

- most versions of rngd seem have an issue with the way it checks for
randomness of the entropy source (see the email exchange we had here
yesterday) - this may be what you're seeing: rngd is shutting down - I'm going
to release a software change that further whitens the input to rngd, hopefully
this coming weekend

	Paul