[onerng talk] OneRNG LED malfunction?

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Mon Jul 6 00:25:17 BST 2015

On Sun, Jul 05, 2015 at 06:32:50PM +1200, Max Nager wrote:
> I am running Ubuntu 14.04 and after calling cat /dev/random
> >/dev/null the LED does not dim. The case is also pretty hot, but
> the LED has never blinked so I am not sure whether it is a
> temperature failure or not.

The LED should dim _during_ the cat, not after.

If the LED never lights up at all, my guess is a fault of some kind.

One kind of fault will just make the LED not light up.

A different kind of fault will stop the whole thing from working.

You can differentiate between these faults by checking if rngd is
running and measuring how many bytes per second of random data is
available.

host:~$ pgrep rngd
2063
18226
host:~$ dd if=/dev/random of=/dev/null count=65536 bs=1
65536+0 records in
65536+0 records out
65536 bytes (66 kB) copied, 0.805151 s, 81.4 kB/s
host:~$

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/