[onerng talk] Temperature and Failure??

Jeroen Massar jeroen at massar.ch
Mon Jul 20 20:48:44 BST 2015

On 2015-07-20 19:39, Max Nager wrote:
> I'm still having issues getting mine to be recognized.

Do you see the device in 'lsusb' and 'dmesg'?

You should also have a /dev/ttyACM0 that is present when the device is
inserted and not present when it is ejected.

> I tried disabling the gpg signature verification but that didn't help.
>
> Jeroen, you mentioned the OpenSSL package. What did you do for that?

That is part of the "/sbin/onerng.sh" script in the Debian package.

That script gets run by udev when you plug in the device (based on the
rules in /lib/udev/rules.d/79-onerng.rules, the script then first
verifies the device's firmware and then runs effectively:

openssl enc -aes128 -nosalt -in /dev/ttyACM0 -pass file:/dev/ttyACM0
-out /dev/stdout | rngd -f --rng-entropy=.93750 -p
/var/lock/LCK..ttyACM0 -r /dev/stdin

where ttyACM0 is the device. that openssl command is primarily for
'whitening' the input from the OneRNG.

Effectively, as the script shows, one can do without the whitening and
just pass '-r /dev/ttyACM0' to the rngd too and skip the piping of
openssl output.

Greets,
 Jeroen