[onerng talk] another method of acquiring randomness

Jim Cheetham jim at gonzul.net
Wed Jan 28 02:45:08 GMT 2015

The smartphone aspect is pure gimmick, of course - just highlighting
the fact that what we carry around in our pockets every day is in face
a very advanced general purpose system just used to send selfies to
the Internet ...

It's the whole aspect of counting electrons/photons that seems a
little delicate. They're profiling the CCD to work out how much light
to provide to just avoid saturating the array, and then assuming "even
illumination" any differences between pixels should represent the
unpredictability of the laser source. I don't see that as being very
robust outside a lab/sealed unit.

Still, probably a good source for the high-end RNGs. But never
practical on a personal phone ...

-jim