A better random number generator...

ianG iang at iang.org
Thu Feb 19 10:09:52 GMT 2015

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: 	[Cryptography] A better random number generator...
Date: 	Wed, 18 Feb 2015 16:47:46 -0800
To: 	cryptography at metzdowd.com <cryptography at metzdowd.com>

A talk at Stanford:
The video will be online later...

Talk by: **

           Melissa O'Neill
           Harvey Mudd College

**
Algorithmic random number generators are everywhere, used for all kinds
of tasks, from simulation to computational creativity.

Yet most people haven't given much thought to the random number
generators they use. Is the RNG you're using a good source of
randomness? What does it even mean to be a good RNG?

In this talk, we will examine the desirable properties of a random
number generator including performance, correctness, uniformity, and
unpredictability, as well as sound mathematical grounding.

We will observe how the RNGs in widespread use lack desirable properties
(most commonly failing statistical tests for randomness).

Then we will show how a simple twist on a venerable-but-flawed RNG
technique can provide all the properties we desire, resulting in the PCG
family of RNGs.

http://web.stanford.edu/class/ee380/Abstracts/150218.html

--
   T o m    M i t c h e l l