[onerng talk] install & access

Paul Campbell paul at taniwha.com
Tue Oct 28 11:28:50 GMT 2014

On Tue, 28 Oct 2014 11:05:08 ianG wrote:

> Once rngd is started and starts reading for feeding, does this cause a
> capture of the device?
>
> Eg., as described below if I open the tty and send the 'get me some RNs'
> command down it, does it respond nicely to me?  And without being nasty
> to the rngd?

well it just starts sending you a random stream of bytes - the more you suck
from it the more it provides, empty the internal entropy pool and it stalls
until more is available, if you consume data too slowly the data spills xoring
into the internal entropy pool continually stirring it

> Same question for the verification command.

basically the same - the verification stream has a framing header with a count
and a version followed by a memory image

> > it's a tty - set it to raw and it listens for commands and responds with a
> > byte stream
>
> Nice!  What is the command set?

essentially send it the string 'cmd' followed by a character  (this is largely
to make the case where

there are on/off/flush, crypto mode and an image dump

details are here:

http://moonbaseotago.com/onerng/theory.html

	Paul