[onerng talk] RNG designs

Paul Campbell paul at taniwha.com
Sun Feb 2 11:49:21 GMT 2014

On Sun, 02 Feb 2014 14:21:05 ianG wrote:
> On 2/02/14 12:07 PM, Paul Campbell wrote:
> > On Sun, 02 Feb 2014 21:49:51 Jim Cheetham wrote:
> >> But even if the RF stream delivers less than 1 bit of entropy per bit,
> >> that doesn't really hurt us. It is still better than zero :-)
> >>
> >> If the diode circuit delivers a better result, is it really 'perfect'?
> >
> > arguably yes  - the avalanches in the diode are triggered by quantum
> > effects .... it's the sampling of the resulting data that introduces the
> > slight 1/0 difference
>
> Huh.  Sampling effects the distribution.  Nice!

no not in that way - the signal coming out of the diode is not exactly 0s and
1s - mostly it is but part of the time  it's transitioning, so some times when
you sample it's half way in between a 1 and a 0 and the results are sort of
random - it's actually much more complex than this (try searching for
"metastability" ....) - in reality we get a 1 or 0

I've tweaked the spot where we sample so the result is pretty close to 50:50
but it will never be perfect, one could spend a lot of money making something
that was much better but it would probably require hand tweaking on them
production like (that costs money)

	Paul