[onerng talk] /dev/random on Linux ...

Bill Cox waywardgeek at gmail.com
Sat Dec 20 21:23:11 GMT 2014

I bypassed rngd and write directly to /dev/random. One very cool thing
about the modular noise multiplier is the very accurate estimate of the
entropy I am adding.  Basically anyone using /dev/urandom effectively is
mounting a denial of service attack against people who need true random
data.  Also the entropy mixing code has a problem in that it takes tiny
amounts of entropy in at a time, enabling certain attacks. Because of these
weaknesses I feel it is reasonable for some people to bypass the system
entropy pool, but this is also asking for trouble. I do not know why this
code is not modernized.

Bill