[onerng talk] /dev/random on Linux ...

Jim Cheetham jim at gonzul.net
Sun Dec 21 00:55:21 GMT 2014

Hi Bill.

I thing that rngd is useful because it adds a level of protection
against failure; if the data is not dirty enough, the source is
rejected.

On Sun, Dec 21, 2014 at 10:23 AM, Bill Cox <waywardgeek at gmail.com> wrote:
> Basically anyone using /dev/urandom effectively is
> mounting a denial of service attack against people who need true random
> data.

Certainly that's what I used to believe, but is not the conclusion to
draw from the description Thomas gave. So I asked Ted T'so, and I've
got a whole load more detail from him that I need to get into my head
now. When I've done that I'll get back to you :-)

-jim