[onerng talk] amusing for USB RNGs :)

Paul Campbell paul at taniwha.com
Sat Aug 2 09:03:45 BST 2014

On Sat, 02 Aug 2014 08:47:08 ianG wrote:
> On that thread, over on the Crypto list it was suggested that we could
> make a pass-thru USB adaptor that would prevent the rewriting capability.
>
> Is that possible? If so, could it be merged with the OneRNG design?

I think what they're talking about is a device that acts as more than one
device - looks like a flash drive acts like a flash drive but presents multiple
device interfaces to the system

For example if you plug a BeagleBone Black into a system it presents a flash
drive (with files on it, you can load kernels and stuff into it that way), it
also offers up a USB serial interface (for the console)  and a USB network
interface (so you can ssh into it) - all over the same USB wire - this is a
perfectly valid (and decidedly cool) thing to do

Modern arduinos offer up a serial console and a USB HID interface (which could
emulate a keyboard or mouse).

My extended programmer (not released) offers 3 serial interfaces (plain serial,
device programmer, zigbee RPC)

We could create a "pass thru" device, essentially a bridge that hides
everything but storage interfaces - OneRNG is probably not the guy to do it,
I'm more in favour of doing one thing well - a "USB firewall" device should be
something different

	Paul