[chbot] Anyone had experience with Adafruit MAX98357 I2S Class-D Mono Amp

hamster hamster at snap.net.nz
Tue Jul 23 05:26:58 BST 2024

Hi Andrew

I've played with a few I2S things before. Usually they are pretty
painless but some have a 'mode' setting, and most of the I2S peripherals
in microcontrollers support various different formats.

That one seems to have a weird 'mode' (L, R, L+R) and gain settings that
controlled through voltages on two pins. It might do weird things if
these are left floating.

https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-max98357-i2s-class-d-mono-amp/pinouts

The simplest way to know for sure what is going on is to put a Logic
Analyzer on the I2S bus and see what the data stream looks like. It the
stream isn't valid no amount of tweaking will make it work.

Oh, and if you ware building the audio stream in software, you might
have a signed vs offset binary issue vs unsigned issue. it is save to
assume that I2S values signed, and transmitted MSB first.

Mike