[chbot] Meshtastic

Andy Gardner ceo at andygardner.com
Wed Jul 17 11:14:46 BST 2024

Hi Brendan,

Funny you should ask. :^)

Here's a quick run-down.

https://meshmap.net shows the nodes popping up locally. Not all show up,
only the ones configured to. You don't need/want your IoT nodes showing
on the map.

Branch 05 has a node running at the clubrooms (I was there last Tues at
the tech night sitting in the comfy chair down the back doing some
config changes on it).

Our Marleys node should be up and running hopefully this weekend.

http://meshtastic.org is the main site. https://meshtastic.org/docs/faq
might be a good starting point.

I find the documentation a bit confusing - it's spread around on
different pages and they switch between referring to nodes/users/devices
even within the command structure. Not sure there's even a page that
clearly explains what it's all about right from square one.

Some devices come with display and keyboard. You can interact with a
headless nodes via a smartphone or CLI and connect via wireless,
bluetooth or serial.

It can be used as a text communications network (very useful if an
earthquake sees all the cell towers run out of battery), and other stuff
like IoT.

There are modules built into the firmware for all sorts of IoT
applications - https://meshtastic.org/docs/configuration/module/

It's all open source - https://github.com/meshtastic/ - so if someone
wants to write a module for another use case, they can go for it.

Because it's LoRa it can go really long distances with very low power.
The disadvantage to that is the devices are pricey due to the LoRa RF
module required to be used.

Main support channel: https://meshtastic.discourse.group

Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/meshtastic/

There's a discord server for the NZ Meshtastic network

Email me for an invite URL

Possibly also something on farcebork but that ain't my thang.

If I come to tech night next Wednesday, I'll bring my Meshtastic Watch...

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005642999869.html

  and Blueberry*

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005692235592.html

for you to check out.

* Rumour is the keyboards are surplus real Blueberry NOS.