[chbot] EPROM Emulator

Charles Manning cdhmanning at gmail.com
Thu Feb 1 08:10:26 GMT 2024

I have to ask.... what are you using it for?
Last time I used an EPROM was in the 1990s.

I built a nifty EPROM emulator back then too that had a "virtual UART"
built in.
The "virtual UART was implemented as 260 or so bytes of the EPROM space.
You could read the data register and status register by just reading bytes
near the top of the EEPROM space which mapped to these registers instead.
EPROM space is only readable, not writable, so writing to the virtual UART
needed a trick.
To send a byte out the UART you accessed one of the bytes in the very top
256 bytes of the EPROM area from 0xFF00 to 0xFFFF.. eg to send an 0x63 byte
you did a read from 0xFF63.