[chbot] Plastic film on PCB for water-proofing

Stephen Irons stephen at irons.nz
Tue Apr 2 21:52:53 BST 2024

Over the weekend, I repaired my e-book reader. The micro-USB connector
was no longer working. It turned out that force from the USB cable had
lifted the soldered connections from the PCB. I would have liked to
have replaced the connector while the housing was open, but could not
find a replacement that looked similar. However, touching up the solder
joints with a fine soldering worked a treat.

The e-book reader is sold as 'water-proof' to something like 2 m for 30
minutes (IP-67?). It seemed that there were lots of places that water
could get in: USB connector, power button, case-halves, screw holes,
and the screen bezel, at the edges along the case and the edges along
the screen.

There was no real sealing around the USB connector. It was a close fit,
but not tight by any means. I have opened many water-proof housings
(pet trackers, trail cameras, etc) and was surprised by the lack of
rubber seals, etc. I am sure water could get into the housing.

The thing I found surprising was that the entire PCB was covered front
and back with a thin plastic film. The film had obviously been applied
after the connectors were fitted, as I had to break the film to remove
the connectors.

[There were 5 connectors on the PCB: the USB connector, 3 ZIF
connectors for flex PCBs (for screen connection, magnetic cover sensor
and one other), and a 2-pin battery connector. Also, a tiny
power-button].

The only breaks in the film were around the connectors, and the film
was stuck very lightly to the PCB, around the USB connector (leaving
the hole open), the flex-PCBs and the battery wires.

So, water-proofing obviously comes from the plastic film. But what
about the battery and screen?

Has anyone seen something similar? What is this film or the process of
applying it called?

Stephen Irons