[chbot] Robotics Group meeting, 5 Idris Rd, 630pm, Monday 18 Sept 2023 report ** BIRTHDAY SPECIAL **

Mark Atherton markaren1 at xtra.co.nz
Mon Sep 18 10:59:40 BST 2023

Hello everyone,

*** HAPPY 20th BIRTHDAY ***

Good turnout with 26 attendees, and lots of huddles-of tech-talk. $28 +
change (in gold, and flat-money) collected and transferred into the
robotics loose-change jar (for later banking).

All sales from the trading table should go into the brown box on the
wall, and are directly for the benefit of our host club, Christchurch
Amateur Radio Club, NZART Branch 05.

Equipment donations are welcome for the trading table, but no CRT based
product, printers, toner or items that are likely to be a disposal burden.

With thanks on behalf of the group,

Mark Atherton

Mark opened the evening with a discussion about a couple of interesting
YouTube videos: Ronald Rider/CHM; designer of the original ball mouse as
well as a ton of other stuff while at Xerox PARC. Also on YouTube, a
Haptic Knob design (scottbez1), with LCD top, haptic feedback from a
stepper motor, and push button function implemented using strain gauges
integrated as part of the PCB design. Position determined using an
electronic compass(!) under the knob. Amazing piece of work.

Mark continued with a technical discussion about Enable’s dark PONFAS
(Passive Optical Network Fibre Access Service), as well as experience
with his recent trailing-edge fibre installation. Finally he touched on
a workaround required to forward a port on an internet router which had
a bug associated with creating ARP table entries for a static IP while
implementing a small HTTP server.

David Bourke talked about his new electric-van; a mobile workshop
capable of mechanical, electrical, SMD repair and servicing. Quite an
extraordinary venture.

Darren talked about the YouTube video tour of JLCPCB, and their flexible
PCB technology.

Andrew Errington, our founding father mentioned that our group has
celebrated 20 years of meetings with himself,  Richard Jones and Mark
Atherton as administrators. He also talked about creation of
high-quality front-panels by selective ablation of layered paint. Very
impressive.