[chbot] Filler for waterproofing temp sensors

Volker Kuhlmann list57 at top.geek.nz
Sat Jul 22 06:16:10 BST 2023

Those are all really good points, thank you! I can be more specific.

Thermal conductivity between stainless sleeve and TO-92 should be good.

The metal sleeve ideally has thermal insulation to its clamping
mechanism (not too difficult).

The metal sleeve and cable should be waterproof, ideally submersible to
a few cm, but can be assumed to be <30° from the vertical with the
metal down. Waterproofing of the sensor and its connection is not
required as long as the packaging is waterproof.

That makes thermal grease in the sleeve look like a good option, even
cheap from Ali should be good enough. TBC whether it's electrically
insulating.

Heat shrink over tube and cable (I'm thinking flat(ish) telephone cable)
doesn't seem enough to me, but I'm happy to also cover it in silicone
sealant. That sealant is probably also a reasonably good thermal
insulator.

What's your favourite supplier for silicone tubing, Andrew? (Don't search
Ali for silicone sleeving, apparently one must be 18 for that).

And heat shrink lined with glue??

Thank you,